As I mentioned last week one of my very favorite things about fall is that people naturally tend to gather more often, as the days are shorter and holidays abound (and in our family almost everyone’s birthdays happen within these next few months). I know there is a lot of pressure to host the perfect party (thanks, Pinterest) but, let’s be honest, most of the pressure is put on us by ourselves. I’d wager that most of our guests just want to cozy up inside and feel at home, to feel seen, feel heard, feel connected.
And so, here is my list of things that I like to have on hand for when friends or family stop by:
1. Tea and coffee (and milk and sugar or subsitutes). Possibly a bottle of wine? Our favorites currently: Cream of Earl Grey from David’s Tea and Traditional Vienna Dark Roast coffee from Pistol and Burnes Coffee Roasters.
2. A few frozen desserts, either homemade or store bought, whichever you have time for. My go tos are banana bread and apple crisp (neither of which I have in my freezer right now). Or salty snacks in the cupboard (Chicago Mix popcorn from Costco anyone? Can you tell I have a sweet tooth? Even my salty snacks are sweet).
3. Candles. I stocked up on yummy smelling Pumpkin Cookie candles from Superstore last year for $4 each.
4. Warm blankets that are easily accessible (especially if you’re like me and love to sit out on the porch at night listening to the rain).
5. Bathroom cleaning supplies. This is the one room I have to have clean when people come over. My cleaning supplies include a Norwex microfiber and window cloth, spray bottle with vinegar, and homemade toilet bowl cleaner all in a little basket so they’re ready to go for a 5 minute clean anytime (my nerdy self is pretty proud of my bathroom cleaning basket even though the rest of my cleaning supplies are in need of some major organizing).
6. Board games. We enjoy Uno as it’s easy to learn and can be played for as short or long as you like.
7. Music, not necessarily fall related unless you’re like my husband who tends to be quite nostalgic especially this time of year. We’ve been loving Rdio and our collection of vinyl records (our fall picks: Illinois and All Delighted People by Sufjan Stevens and Out of the Vein by Third Eye Blind).
That’s all! And, honestly, if I was going to show up at your place, all I’d love was a hot cup of tea and your company.
What do you feel you need to have on hand in order to be ready for guests?